A runny nose is a very annoying and common problem that you must have experienced many a time. It occurs when the mucus in the nasal passages and sinus increases. The increase in mucus production is the way our body flushes out cold or irritants, allergens and flu virus out of our body. When you experience this problem, you naturally must be hunting ways on how to get rid of runny nose. Even though there are many over-the-counter medicines available for the purpose, but they can invite side effects like drowsiness. It will thus be wise to opt for home remedies, which can give you great relief without causing side effects. Let us now get to learn some popular home remedies to treat your runny nose. Here are 10 ways to get rid of runny nose.
10. Salt Water
This is perhaps one of the best remedies, which helps reduce the irritation that you experience when suffering from a runny nose. Salt water helps thin the mucus, thus making it more comfortable and easier to expel. It will even help clear your nasal passages.
- Take two cups of warm distilled water and add one-half teaspoon table salt in it.
- With the help of a dropper, put few drops of this solution in each nostril, while keeping your head tilted back.
- Gently inhale to allow the solution go further down your nasal passages. Now, blow your nose to get rid of excess solution and mucus.
- Repeat this few more times, at a sitting, until you enjoy some relief
- You can repeat this twice each day, until you see improvement in your condition.
One of the best answers for how to get rid of runny nose is, steam inhalation. It will help rid you of excess mucus that leads to sneezing and a runny nose.
- Take a bowl of hot water and keep your face over it. Make sure to cover your head with a towel so that the steam does not escape. Breathe the steam in for at least 10 minutes, and then blow your nose. Repeat this procedure 3 – 4 times a day.
- You may even add menthol or eucalyptus oil to the hot water before taking the steam.
- A hot water bath or shower also provides great relief.
Ginger contains lots of antioxidants and also antitoxin, anti-fungal and antiviral properties, which can provide you quick relief from the symptoms of a runny nose.
- You can sprinkle some salt on small pieces of ginger and chew them few times a day to get great relief.
- You may even make ginger tea by cutting ginger into thin slices, add them to water and boil it. You may add some honey for taste, and drink this concoction 3 – 4 times in a day.
- Take two cups of water, boil one-teaspoon ginger powder in it, and inhale the vapor.
Garlic has great antiseptic and antibacterial properties, making it a great remedy for a runny nose.
- You can make garlic soup by adding 3 – 4 cloves of garlic into a cup of water and boil it for few minutes. Strain it, add some sugar, and drink this soup at least twice a day.
- You may even chew on a small garlic clove 3 – 4 times a day. This will warm up your body, and thus offer relief.
6. Eucalyptus Oil
This oil is a great decongestant, and using it can give you instant relief.
- Take a big bowl of water and heat it. Add 6 – 7 drops of eucalyptus oil, and four drop of peppermint and lavender oil in it. Now, take the scanted steam by covering your head with a towel, and leaning over the bowl.
- You may even put few drops of eucalyptus oil on your handkerchief, and keep inhaling it through the day.
5. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper helps clear up nasal congestion and helps cure a runny nose. It increases nasal discharge, and thus can help flush out the toxins and blockage that has resulted in a runny nose. Add as much of cayenne pepper as you can in your dishes when you are suffering from a runny nose.
Honey too is a great solution for those looking for methods on how to get rid of runny nose. Honey has great antiviral and antibacterial properties, and can help reduce the symptoms associated with a runny nose.
- Take a cup and add two tablespoons honey, half-tablespoon lemon juice, and a pinch of cinnamon powder to it. Take this mixture two times a day.
- In a glass of lukewarm water, add two tablespoons honey. Mix and drink it twice a day.
- Take one glass of warm water and add one-tablespoon honey, and 3 – 4 drops of lemon juice. Drink this concoction while it is warm, twice a day. Together with helping cure your runny nose, it can also strengthen your immune system.
Basil has anti-fungal, antiviral, antibacterial and strong healing properties, which will warm your body from within, and help cure your runny nose.
- Chew 3 – 4 basil leaves before you have breakfast each morning, and also before going to bed every night.
- Eat 2 – 3 basil leaves with little jaggery, twice a day, to treat common cold and a runny nose.
- Take a cup of water and add 5 cloves and 10 basil leaves into it. Boil it for about 10 minutes. Add a little sugar and let the solution cool down. Drink this mixture twice a day.
2. Mustard Oil
Mustard oil has great antiviral, antihistamine and antibiotic properties and can give you great relief.
- Take a little amount of mustard oil and heat it until it is just slightly warm. Take a dropper and a put a drop or two of this oil in both your nostrils. This will clear your nasal passages. Make sure you repeat this 2 – 3 times a day.
- In a pot of water, add one-tablespoon caraway seed, and 2 – 3 tablespoons mustard oil, and let it boil. Now remove from heat, and inhale the steam. If it is too hot to burn your face, let it cool down slightly, but it must be hot enough for the steam to work. The strong scent of mustard oil will warm up your respiratory system and provide you instant relief. Repeat this process twice a day.
Turmeric, with its antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, helps cure many health conditions, even a runny nose.
- Take half a teaspoon turmeric powder, twice daily, with some water, to loosen the mucus.
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric to a glass of warm milk, and drink it before sleeping at night. This will give you relief from cough, sore throat, cold, and a runny nose.
- Now that you know how to get rid of runny nose, you can start following these procedures right away. You may try at least few of them, until you find the one that suits you most.
10 Ways to Get Rid Of Runny Nose
- Mustard Oil
- Cayenne Pepper
- Eucalyptus Oil
- Salt Water